How to Hire
A professional interior designer can provide all the services of a decorator and more. Before contacting an interior designer, take some time to think about what you want and what you need.
The first step in this process is to consider some questions that an interior designer will ask regarding your project.
- For whom is the space being designed?
- What activities will take place there?
- How long do you plan to occupy the space?
- What is your time frame?
- What is your budget?
- What image do you want to project?
The second step is to interview interior designers. When you interview several designers, you become familiar with differences in their personality, style and business methods. During an interview, you may want to:
- Inquire about the designer’s education, training, experience, professional affiliations and other credentials.
- Ask about other services the designer can provide and what can be done to help you optimize your understanding of the cost of the project.
- Discuss the designer’s fee structure.
The third step is to hire the designer. Once you’ve interviewed several interior designers, take time to compare their portfolios. Keep in mind that differences in each portfolio reflect variables such as level of service and quality of merchandise.